Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

Kick-Ass Women in Speculative Fiction and Movies

Last night I had a really fun chat with a facebook friend where we playfully imagined creating an all female body-guard platoon from our favourite hawt kick-ass female characters from movies and fiction. 


Some of the ones which quickly made the cut included ones I was instantly and quickly familiar with:

* Sarah Conner

* River Tam

* Buffy

* Faith

* Mila-Multi-pass-Resident Evil-Jovovich

* Kate Beckinsale

* Gina Carano (who is a real-life mixed martial artist)

* Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver)

* Trinity (Matrix)


Some that would make my personal list that did not make the cut last night

(mostly because I was tired and had to go to bed before zombies noshed on my

brains) would include:

* Anita Blake Vampire Hunter (Laurell K. Hamilton)

* Mercy the shapeshifter (Patricia Briggs)

* Rachel Morgan the witch/demon by Kim Harrison

* Ivy the living vampire (Rachel's BFF) in the same series by Kim Harrison

* Bo the succubus in the Canadian TV series Lost Girl (filmed in my own home town of Toronto)

* Pris the replicant pleasure model assassin (Darryl Hannah in Blade Runner)

* Zhora the replicant assassin (Joanna Cassidy in Blade Runner)

* Valeria Queen of Thieves (Sandahl Bergman) in Conan the Barbarian


* Elena Michaels werewolf (Kelly Armstrong)


* Hope Adams demon (Kelly Armstrong)


* Paige Winterbourne witch (Kelly Armstrong)


There are more, but one only has so much time in the day to indulge in blogging...


Some whom my facebook friend made me aware that I obviously need to make

the acquaintance of:

* Molly Millions from Neuromancer -  (I only know her as Jane from Johnny

Mnemonic)

* Mina Murray from Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

* Alyx from Joanna Russ's Picnic on Paradise.

This made me realize that maybe there are lots of other hot kick-ass female

heroines that I am missing out on and that is just inexcusable! I need to find



them all! So any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated...




And really, when I finally grow up, I'd love to be creating and writing strong 


kick-ass female characters like these myself - or living as, and being one of


them myself. ;-) As if that's ever going to happen in real life. Guess that's why I


read so much. Living in the imagination is the next best thing. 


Modesty Blaise

No comments:

Post a Comment