Search This Blog

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Libraries, Small Bookstores, Real Books & Bookshelves


During the period of time since my last update, the local library union went on strike and all the libraries closed down, so that slowed down my library reading a bit. For someone who loves books as much as I do, it's a terrible thing to suddenly not have any access to libraries. Sounds like the union made a deal that they were happy with. I am very much against the latest economic and political trend towards library cut-backs, closings, etc. I need my library books like the body needs air so please keep those libraries open, and treat those library workers well!

A note to authors, I'm sorry if I don't buy every single book I read, but I have limited funds and have to be careful about how I choose to spend them. But, like many people who truly love books, If I honestly love a book/author that I get first from a library (enough to think I'd read it again), I am much more likely to start purchasing and collecting that author's works from the bookstore, and have it ready to hand so I can re-read it whenever I want to.

And yes, I am a bit of a dinosaur in that I like to go to my small local bookstores and buy my books there instead of ordering them online, or downloading them. I have a thing for paper and ink and the printed word, so much so that I also do my own calligraphy (maybe I was a Nun in a past life?) I like the smell of books and I like the feel of a book in my hands. I also like the security of knowing that I can still read a real book even if the power goes out or my computer dies. As I commented to someone today, when I read a book I want to tune out the rest of the world, and escape into the world of the book. While I'm in the world of the book, I don't want to be interrupted by advertising, emails, texts,  facebook, or any other sort of intrusion.

I also have a thing for bookshelves. I feel I can never have enough of those, because my book collection is always growing...and my books sort of become my friends, and take on histories and personalities of their own so they need a proper home. And if my books have a proper home, that means I have a proper home. I don't feel comfortable in other people's homes when I see there are few to no books, or only coffee table books that are obviously only there for display. It's like there is something essential missing from their home space that says something about them as people and how I might/might not relate to them. Books + local places to get real books + bookshelves = one complete and satisfied me.

No comments:

Post a Comment