Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

A Bad, Bad Girl

I've been a bad, bad girl. I've been reading, but neglecting to write up any reviews. As a result I've totally lost track of how many books I've read and liked (or not liked) since my last entry. :-(

Right now I've just got two already read books left out of my latest stack of novels that I haven't returned to the library yet. They are:
Indigo Springs by A.M. Dellamonica
Blood and Ice by Robert Masello

I also have a stack of brand new library books which I haven't read yet.
They are:
Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong
The Great Tree of Avalon by T.A. Barron
The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green
Ghost Shadow by Heather Graham
Chalice by Robin McKinley
The Shape Changer's Wife by Sharon Shinn

-------------------------------------------------------

Blood and Ice was a vampire story. Basically two British vampire lovers get chained together and thrown overboard by a hostile nautical crew near the South Pole in the last century and are frozen solid until modern day South Pole researchers find them, bring them up, thaw them, and then have to deal with the consequences. An interesting setting, full of fascinating tidbits about what the flora and fauna of the South Pole is like, and historical data as well. Obviously a lot of research work was done to write this book.

Indigo Springs was a dark fantasy story filled with magickal forces, magickal creatures, magickal transformations, and the eternal battle between human good and evil. There were some interesting character developments in this novel. I particularly liked the main female character Astrid who is quite complex and conflicted in many ways and on many levels, including her bisexuality. Very imaginative and creative. Not just your average night of simple entertainment novel. I would read more of her work if I could get my hands on it. A.M. Dellamonica's (who by the way is a Canadian gal living in B.C. with her wife Kelly Robson) next novel in progress is called The Wintergirls. I will be keeping an eye out for it.

Ok. "It is a dark and stormy night". Environment Canada has just issued a heavy rain warning. Sounds like the perfect night to dig my head deep into a nice juicy book. Waking The Witch is my first choice of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment