Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2012

L.A.Banks, Surrender the Dark

Ahhhh. My memory is really being jogged now that I've spent the day working on my long neglected blog and trying to remember some of the better books I've read over the last few months.

I just remembered another new author that I discovered during my recent, tumultuous and stressful move. L.A. Banks. At first I wasn't certain that I would like her novel because it appeared to be one of "those" romance novels that don't do much for me.

However, I soon found that it was much more than just a romance. I could actually identify with the heroine on a very personal level, how low of a level she had sunk in her life, how depressed and demoralized she was, how far she had to come to heal. I even found myself identifying with her taste in clothes shampoos, soaps, and scents. I could also identify with the values, morals, ethics, and interests of the main characters, including the health foods and the natural cleansing and healing process of the body, and how everything is interconnected, mind, body, and spirit. I wanted to be her. I wanted her love interest.

I was honestly surprised at how well Banks was able to make me care about her story and her characters. So I looked her up to see what else she had written, and I was terribly saddened to discover that she had recently died of cancer just this past year at the young age of 51. Her writing had made me care, not only about those she wrote about, but herself as a person. Here was someone highly intelligent, warm, loving, caring, healing, generous, and with an amazing amount of hope for humanity and a strong belief that good and love will always conquer all. Rare in these days and times. I had just discovered her, only to lose her.

L.A. Banks, whereever your spirit is (and I'm quite sure it's somewhere really wonderful!) I will be looking for the rest of your books to read. It seems you gave a great deal of your wonderful self while you were here with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment