Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Novel: Wild Hunt by Margaret Ronald

Wild Hunt is Margaret Ronald's second book in a series. Her first book was Spiral Hunt.

The first question I always ask myself after finishing a book is, "Would I read it again?" I think if it was a few years later and I found it on a library shelf and I couldn't find anything else to read at the time I'd check it out again. It wasn't so thrilling that I'd go and buy it from a bookstore and keep it on my shelves, but yes, I'd read it again, so that means it was a decent read. I'd also get the first novel out the library to read as well.

As is usual for my preference, the protagonist Evie Scelan is a strong, independent, kick-a** female character. She works as a mundane bicycle courier in Boston. Her supernatural nature is that of a "Hound" and it comes down the family line from the "old Irish" (whatever that really means - the author isn't historically or culturally specific enough). She isn't exactly a shape-changer, but she has all the abilities to "scent" and track and chase down whomever she needs to. Since taking down the corrupt Fiana organization who ruled the Boston "undercurrent" in Spiral Hunt, she is now the de facto person in power of the city. Her boyfriend, irony of ironies, turns out to be a very reluctant werewolf. (He is also a nerdy graduate student with a miserable TA job. This brought back memories for me of being in the same situation so I felt quite sympathetic towards him). And then there is the stolen horn of the Wild Hunt. So there is lots of magickal canine influence afoot, anose, and atail in the city of Boston. Woof!

Not epic, but basically well written, entertaining, and fun to read. This one gets three owl talons. It's a percher, but not a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment